Update face-veil ban debate in Switzerland
The Political Institutions Committee of the National Council decided to follow the decision of the Commitee of the Council of States, taken in January 2011, to refuse a Cantonal Initiative which would prohibit partial or full veiling of the face on a national level. The decision was taken with 10 votes in favour of the Initiative and 12 against according to the Parliamentary Services. According to the majority, there is no need for action in this area. It is argued that veiling based on religio-cultural reasons does not represent a problem in Switzerland. Furthermore, there is some doubt about the proportionality of such a measure, particularly with regard to the presumedly negative signal effect towards tourists from Islamic countries.
Meanwhile, a Cantonal Popular Initiative was submitted in the canton of Ticino on 19 May 2011 which asks for the prohibition of face veiling on a cantonal level. It will be the first popular vote in Switzerland about this matter.
Burkaverbot wird Abstimmungsthema. NZZ online (in German)
- Conference on Islamic Family Law
- Concepts of Religion between Asia and Europe
- "Adultery should not be criminal offence at all"
- The World's Muslims: Unity and Diversity - The PEW Forum on Religion and Public Life
- International Conference on Islam and International Law
- Cultural Diversity in Britain
- Arab Youth Survey 2012
- Der Arabische Frühling – ein Jahr danach/ The Arab Spring – one year on
- Pakistan - Domestic Violence (Prevention and Protection) Act 2012
- Religion - Wirtschaft - Politik. Transdisziplinär
- Vom Hinterhof ins Stadtzentrum. Religiöse Minderheiten in der Mehrheitsgesellschaft
- Jugend - Migration - Integration
- Research Project: Get and Talaq in the United Kingdom
- Annual LUCIS Conference 2011 | Applying Sharia in the West
- Bericht über die Tagung "Religiös-kulturelle Varianz des Familien- und Erbrechts?"
- Update face-veil ban debate in Switzerland
- Kultur, Religion und Familienrecht in Europa: Rechtspluralismus als Perspektive?
- Islam kontrovers. Perspektiven einer kritischen Islamwissenschaft
- Frauenrechte und Islam: Diskurse und Debatten
- Critical Islamic Thought - a Summer School in Granada, Spain
- Podiumsdiskussion "Revolution in der arabischen Welt?"
- New funding initiative to promote academic mobility
- Tagung "Religiös-kulturelle Varianz des Familien- und Erbrechts: Zukunftsmusik oder Unding?"
- Press release of the Political Institutions Committee of the Federal Council of States regarding a face-veil ban
- Is the Creation of a Palestinian State still Achievable?
- Open society and Islam: a debate held in Zurich
- Pluri-Legal Newsletter launched
- Press release of the Federal Commission for Women's Issues: "Gender Equality and Religious/Cultural Practices"
- Subscription to Oxford Islamic Studies
- Media reports on panel discussion
- Panel discussion "After the Minarets Ban: Open Society and Islam"
- Honorary doctorate degree awarded to Mona Zulficar
- What Kind of Liberation? Women and the Occupation in Iraq
- Islamic Law in Europe?
- Basics of Islamic Law